Monday, July 20, 2009

Yesterday at the Acropolis and Asclepion (Dikili, Turkey)

Yesterday Seabourn Odyssey visited Dikili, Turkey and we went on a tour to the ancient ruins of Pergamon, which include the Acropolis and Asclepion (hospital). I highly recommend visiting these locations. It was deserted when we arrived and we were able to take some amazing photos. (You'll see a full photo album upon our return to the States.)

Seabourn used ITS touring company for this shore excursion and our guide was very knowledgeable and spoke clear English. The busses were well air-conditioned, clean, and comfortable. In addition, Seabourn didn't pack the busses full of tourists. There were plenty of empty seats so we could all spread out.





The only thing that marred this wonderful excursion was the fact that it was a hot day… a really hot day. We were told it hit 100 degrees. And, did I mention it was sunny… intensely sunny? Well, here's a little tip if you go on this excursion. Bring some hard candies or some Gatorade. A hat, umbrella, and sunscreen wasn't enough to keep the sun from hitting me hard. Toward the end of the tour I blacked out. Luckily, a doctor was in our group and he kindly sat with me for a few minutes while my pulse got back to normal and I was able to get up and walk again.





Talk about embarrassing! I was so sorry to hold everyone up but everyone was so caring. Several women stopped the tour to sit with me for about ten minutes and made sure I was drinking water. When our bus got back to port, they got me on the first tender back to the ship. Today, everyone checked in to make sure I was doing well. Seabourn travelers are certainly caring and understanding people!



Once I got back to Seabourn Odyssey and had a cold shower and lunch from the Patio Grill (excellent cheeseburgers), I was fine. But, lesson learned. I'm going to take it a bit easier at the first sign of sunstroke and I'll be more prepared for tours like this (lots of walking in direct sun) on super hot days.

—Andrea M. Rotondo for LuxuryCruiseBible.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...