Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Traveling When Life is Complicated

You haven't heard from me in a few weeks and I wish I could tell you it was because Leonard and I were traveling someplace far-flung and fabulous. Unfortunately, we've been working through a family crisis that's kept me traveling between New York City and Florida.

My elderly father was visiting my sister in the Sunshine State when he unfortunately suffered acute kidney failure. He spent three weeks in the hospital and is now transitioning to a rehab hospital/long-term nursing facility. It's been a whirlwind trying to figure out what's best for him and my mom—not to mention having a medevac on standby to fly him from Florida back home to the Northeast. This crazy winter weather hasn't helped getting Mom and Dad home, either!

Daily life has been on hold for weeks, but we're finally accepting the new "normal." All I can say is enjoy your youth and take advantage of everything life has to offer when you and your spouse are healthy and able to travel.

Leonard and I are booked to sail aboard Celebrity Eclipse this Saturday and we are sticking with our plans (although I've changed my mind about this a zillion times in the two weeks leading up to the trip!).

If there was ever a time that we needed a break, this is it. The emotional toll of knowing my parents may never live in their home together again, researching and visiting nursing homes in two states, and dealing with the awful weather in the Northeast has really beaten us down. We're counting on this trip to Grand Cayman, Mexico (Cozumel and Puerto Costa Maya), and Honduras to help us get back on track and let go of some of the stress that's currently resting on our shoulders.

I'm looking forward to sea days spent reading by the pool, lazing on Mexican beaches, and snorkeling in the Caymans and Honduras. We'll be blogging (Internet willing!) and tweeting from the ship and hope you'll join us (virtually) as we explore Celebrity Eclipse.

—Andrea M. Rotondo for LuxuryCruiseBible.com




We're bringing clean water to a village in 2011.
Learn more about our clean water project.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...