Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Staying Fit Aboard the Regent Mariner

General information about our Regent Seven Seas Mariner (Alaska to Russia to Japan) cruise.

One of my concerns about cruising for two weeks was staying fit while onboard. Friends who've sailed the Mariner before assured me that I wouldn't have a problem since the fitness center is so nice. I did some research and decided that I'd take my favorite excerise DVDs with me. I ended up combining in-room workouts with those at the fitness center on Deck 7.

Regent's Fitness Afloat Athletic Program is actually very comprehensive. The center is outfitted with treadmills, recumbent bikes, ellipticals, stair climbers, universal weight machines and free weights. A personal trainer is also onboard and she offers classes in aerobics, stretching, yoga, body toning, circuit training, fitball and pilates.

On the Northwest Passage segment of the Grand Asia voyage, the following classes were given...

• Wake Up and Walk
• Morning Stretch
• Stretch and Relax
• Fitball Exercise
• Low Impact Aerobics
• Aerobic Fat Burner
• Absolutely Abs
• Pilates Mat Work (beginner)
• Yoga Basics
• Yoga Stretch and Stengthen
• Step and Tone (interval training)
• Upper Body Toning
• Lower Body Toning
• Total Body Toning
• Circuit Training (similar to Curves classes)
• Fusion Fitness (not for beginners)

Most classes are 30 minutes, but a handful last a full hour. All classes except Walk Up and Walk are held in the Fitness Center on Deck 7. The morning walks take place on Deck 12.

Six different classes are held on sea days; three options are offered on days when the Mariner is in port.

The fitness instructor during the Northwest Passage cruise was Jacquie Beecroft. She's been with Regent since 2001 and really seems to love what she does.

My husband and I have been using the Fitness Center in the early mornings. I like walking on the treadmill, listening to my iPod and looking out the picture windows as we cruise along. It's so peaceful it's easy to forget that you're actually exercising!

Photo courtesy of Regent Seven Seas

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...